Sheath to dagger (Kris, alternative spelling Keris). Sheath is made of two kinds of wood, brown-stained on the inside, red-painted (lacquer?) on the outside. Wrapped with rattan in the middle. This sheath belongs to the dagger no. 1889.04.4052.
Acquired: Livrustkammaren, Charles XV
Acquisition circumstances - in the field
anonymous swordsman, Manufacturer, Philippines, Sulu Islands. Charles XV of Sweden-Norway, Donor, 1872-02-03
Charles XV's collection, Stockholm Castle, so - called Persian Room, 1872
Livrustkammaren is a museum located at Slottsbacken in the basement under the Royal Palace in Stockholm. The museum is part of the authority Livrustkammaren and Skokloster's castle with the Hallwyl Museum Foundation.
The Armory was originally the Swedish royal family's store of costumes, armor and weapons. The oldest existing inventory in which still preserved objects are housed is from 1548.
The foundation for what today consists of the museum was laid when King Gustav II Adolf in 1628 ordered that his clothes from the campaigns in Poland should be preserved "uthi Rust-Cammaren to an eternal memory".
This meant that the Armory was given more character as a historical collection. In the 1660s, parts of the collections were moved to Queen Kristina's gazebo and in the 1690s, these objects and remaining objects were moved from the castle to the palace Makalös, which was thereby named "The Arsenal". The collections were then moved around between different places, including Fredrikshov's castle and Arvfursten's palace. During the 19th century, the armor chamber was united with the royal cloakroom, and the collections were returned to the castle in 1884, where they were exhibited until 1906, when they were moved and exhibited at the Nordic Museum.
In 1978, the collections moved back to the castle.
In 2003, the museum celebrated its 375th anniversary, and calls itself Sweden's oldest museum. (Wikipedia, 2014-08-28)
Charles XV's collection no. 124. Testamentary gift to LRK 1872, kept in the Persian room at Stockholm Castle. Deposit to the Ethnographic Museum 1905.
Transcript Nils Drejholt 1986-05-07, transcript NDt 1997-09-10.
Record accessed Dec. 2020
Edited for grammar by the Mapping team
Cite this Page